Matthew G. Nielsen
Companies, board members, and executives rely on Matthew Nielsen’s expertise when their reputations and futures are on the line. Matthew focuses his practice on government investigations and white-collar defense, representing corporations, their executives, directors, employees, and securities industry professionals in civil and criminal investigations and proceedings. Matthew regularly practices before the SEC, DOJ, FINRA, CFTC, state securities boards, state attorneys general, and other regulatory and law-enforcement agencies. He has been recognized nationally and by his peers for his skill in handling securities-related investigations and litigation.
Matthew has extensive experience assisting both domestic and international clients with federal and state securities laws, U.S. export control and sanctions laws, embezzlement and self-dealing allegations, whistleblower complaints, accounting fraud, healthcare fraud, and foreign corruption.
Matthew regularly advises his clients on corporate compliance issues and programs, including reviewing and testing policies and procedures, and leads clients through internal investigations in a proactive effort to get ahead of problems and mitigate them before they escalate to litigation or regulatory matters.
Prior to joining Stanton LLP, Matthew was the firm-wide head of the White Collar and Government Investigations practice group of Andrews Kurth Kenyon LLP, during which it received recognition in Chambers & Partners USA as a leading practice in Texas.
Away from work, Matthew can be found at home spending time with his wife, Kim, and his three children. He and his family are members of First United Methodist Church of Rockwall. Matthew is also active in local government and serves as Chairman of the Board of the Rockwall Economic Development Corporation.
In the News
- “Keys to a Whistleblower Program” Texas Lawyer (July 13, 2015)
- "A New World in SEC Compliance and the Fundamentals to Face the Challenges," Inside the Minds: SEC Compliance Best Practices—Leading Lawyers on Understanding New Regulations and Developing Compliance Strategies (2013)
- "What to Expect in SEC Enforcement Actions" Financial Fraud Law Report (May 2012) U.S. Supreme Court to Review Fifth Circuit's Controversial Loss Causation Rules for Securities Class Actions Compliance Week (March 3, 2011)
- Profiled as one of the leading Securities Shareholder Litigation (2015) and Securities Litigation – Defense (2016) lawyers in the United States, The US Legal 500
- Texas Super Lawyer, Texas Monthly (2017)
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Monthly (2006-2009, 2011-2016)
- Legal and Compliance Programs: Ethics and Effectiveness LIVE (March 1, 2013)
- "Conducting Internal Investigations Under New Rules," Compliance Week Roundtable, Houston, Texas (September 20, 2011)
- "Internal Investigations Post Sarbanes-Oxley" to Houston Corporate Paralegal Association (September 9, 2009)
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Dallas Bar Association
- DAYL Foundation, Fellow
Stanton LLP is known for high ethical standards and doing the right thing even when no one is watching…that’s why we trust Stanton LLP to uphold our corporate values and represent us at the courthouse, and in the court of public opinion.
Escalante Golf, Inc.
JD, magna cum laude, Baylor Law School
• Baylor Law Review, Assistant Managing Editor, Executive Editor, and Notes and Comments Editor
• Order of the Barristers
BBA, cum laude, Texas Christian University